Laura Goldberg

Laura Goldberg

Monday, September 15, 2008

Dixie-Land

Since I still do not have a TV, I now watch episodes of TV shows on my computer, which is just as nice as a TV.  I was watching a few episodes of Pushing Daisies.  This is a great show.  Anyway, on abc.com you have to sit through a 30 second commercial every ten minutes or so and then click a button to continue to the screen.  nbc.com doesn't do this.  

The commerical that kept coming on was for Dixie paper plates and I am about to march over to Madison Ave and punch the person who approved this ad.  I went to Syracuse and studied advertising.  True, I never really did anything with that but that was just because Syracuse sucked and they only wanted you to succeed if you moved to New York City.  Anyway, the commercial shows a bunch of young woman with kids saying things like, "I want a paper plate that is as strong as me." and "My children come first.  Now I have more time with my children because I have less plates to wash." or "I will no longer be defined by the number of dishes I wash."

Those lines are as generic as those women's marriages and lives.  Give me a break.  If I ever find that a paper plate is as strong as me, I give you permission to slam a pot in my head.  

No comments: